How to install the latest metaphlan reference DB?

$ humann --version
humann v3.6.1
$ metaphlan --version
MetaPhlAn version 4.0.6 (1 Mar 2023)
$ biobakery_workflows --version
biobakery_workflows v3.1

When running:

humann --input /u/home/staff1/cusgunx/ATS-TEST/biobakery/output_data3/kneaddata/main/HD32R1_subsample.fastq.gz --output /u/home/staff1/cusgunx/ATS-TEST/biobakery/output_data3/humann/main --o-log /u/home/staff1/cusgunx/ATS-TEST/biobakery/output_data3/humann/main/HD32R1_subsample.log --threads 1 --taxonomic-profile /u/home/staff1/cusgunx/ATS-TEST/biobakery/output_data3/metaphlan/main/HD32R1_subsample_taxonomic_profile.tsv

I get:

ERROR: The MetaPhlAn taxonomic profile provided was not generated with the database version v3 or vJan21 . Please update your version of MetaPhlAn to at least v3.0 or if you are using MetaPhlAn v4 please use the database vJan21.

Indeed when downloading the metaphlan DB with:

metaphlan --install

the db installed is: vOct22

this is a consequence of: http://cmprod1.cibio.unitn.it/biobakery4/metaphlan_databases/mpa_latest containing:

mpa_vOct22_CHOCOPhlAnSGB_202212

I downloaded the precomputed version of the bt2 database from: http://cmprod1.cibio.unitn.it/biobakery4/metaphlan_databases/bowtie2_indexes/mpa_vJan21_CHOCOPhlAnSGB_202103_bt2.tar (as suggested in How to install the latest metaphlan reference DB? - #13 by aitor.blancomiguez and I untarred the file and placed the bt2l files in the methaplan_databases directory but even after doing so I still get the same error. Possibly because I miss a pkl and a csv file for the vJan21?

Question 1: is there a way to force a specific version to be downloaded and computed?

Question 2: what is the command to perform the computation locally after downloading the files from Index of /biobakery4/metaphlan_databases for vJan21?

Question 3: I see that vJan21 is hardcoded in many files humann and metaphlan (e.g., humann/config.py, humann-3.6.1-py3.9.egg-info/SOURCES.txt, MetaPhlAn-4.0.6.dist-info/METADATA, etc.), shouldn’t accordingly mpa_latest in Index of /biobakery4/metaphlan_databases point to vJan21 and not vOct22 or the version be updated in humann and metaphlan?

Thanks,

RD